Have you ever heard of GABA Tea? In case you haven’t heres a little info about why they’re becoming more popular…
It’s a new year and many of us are trying to form new healthy habits that will hopefully stay with us throughout the year ( and help us to feel a little less guilty about any Christmas over indulgences too! ). Tea can be a great addition to a healthy lifestyle and diet and let’s be honest…. It’s nice if something that’s good for you is also enjoyable too. That is why now is the perfect time to properly introduce one of our newest green teas, one that is very different to any we’ve had in before, Japanese Gabalong!
What is GABA?
GABA ( short for Gamma-aminobutyric acid) is a human enzyme that behaves as a neurotransmitter in our bodies, it sends message between the nervous system and brain and regulates communication between brain cells. Low levels of it in our bodies can lead to stress, anxiety, difficulty concentration, muscle aches and incomnia. While healthy levels of it can lead to tranquility and improved mood and sleep.
It has been an important part of Japanese diets since it was discovered there 20 years ago, and now in Western cultures it is starting to catch on.
So what is a GABA tea?
The GABA enzyme is naturally occurring in tea plants anyway but it was discovered that the amount present in the leaf could be increased ten fold by processing the leaves is a certain way using nitrogen. This means that you receive all the usual health benefits from the tea and additional GABA content. Excellent right?
How is GABA tea made?
The origins of GABA rich teas was made 20 years ago. Scientists in Japan were researching whether foods and tea could be preserved for longer times. Nitrogen was added to a good quality traditionally produced tea, it is then stored with the nitrogen for 14-15 hours. This is the process that increases the GABA content and produces what might be considered a ‘super tea’.
What does it taste like?
All GABA teas taste different, depending on the tea was used in the process. The Japan Gabalong that we have is beautiful in its flavour and has captured our hearts and tastebuds already! Grown in the Shizouka District near Osaka, it has a dark green leaf which has been well worked but remains open. When brewed it produces a celadon coloured infusion. Th flavour is bright, robust and vegetal with an umami to it. There is a real soft buttery quality to this tea that makes it a pleasure to drink. We would recommend this tea to anybody who is already a fan of green teas and also to anyone who is experiencing a little January blues and wants a pick me up.
Health Benefits of GABA
So a quick summary on some of the health benefits of GABA teas :
- Anti anxiety, stress and insomnia qualities – all vital for maintaining wellness.
- Lowering blood pressure – as a natural tranquiliser GABA can help to lower blood pressure .
- Mental health – aids in brain regulation,memory retention and concentration.
- Strenthens Immune System – can lead to improved plasma production which in turn gives your body a better chance of protecting itself against illness.
- Hangovers – GABA supplements can be used to relieve nasty hangovers, the same with GABA teas!
- Anti cancer and Diabetes properties- GABA can lower sugar and increase insulin production in the body. Studies are also being conducted into how GABA can inhibit the growth of cancer cells.
Explore our full range of green teas here.